Friday, August 24, 2007

Astral ~ Why Go There? … part 2

As to the other question ~ Why scrutinize the astral? Why not let the sleeping dog lie? Perhaps I could if it was resting … but I don't think it is.

'Things always happen in threes!' … Is this a superstition? an expectation that's fulfilled by waiting for semi-comparable incidents to occur? an acknowledgment of similarities noted coincidentally? or does it have a somewhat mysterious, yet bona fide, basis in fact? I believe it's the latter.

In fact, I believe beyond the three-in-sequence scenario: … I believe many presumably unconnected events are 'somewhat mysteriously' bound together. It wouldn't surprise me to know there are legions of invisible links. The ones I can name off the top of my head are:

  • consequential … these fall into the obvious "if this, then that" category;
  • archetypal … these are restagings of great romantic legends and cultural dramas;
  • hairball … these don't appear to be consequential and they don't cater exclusively to standard themes. They come in waves but they do not fit a classic copy-cat theory.

Several years ago, hairballs began grabbing my attention. The uncomfortable truth is: … I've been drawn to some really ugly incidents. Primarily these involved abuse and slaughter of innocents. My interest wasn't relegated to rubbernecking … it was more like a calling. The nature of the calling, though, was unclear. It had a high weirdness factor and I was repulsed.

I did the normal thing ~ I ran through the checklist of possibilities: … Was I careless? Had I allowed myself to be caught up in media frenzies? Were unrecognized karmic wounds popping open? Was I undergoing a complete identity rewrite?

With each gruesome event, those questions were never far from the top of my mind. Never far below the surface was something else as well: … a deep feeling of responsibility. I knew I had to pay attention … there was something I was to witness, to ascertain. But what?

When it comes to end of life transitions, my role is customarily indirect … that is, while I offer support to the ones who are passing forward, my job is to secure peace in the environment surrounding them. This, then, is what I began doing with real time transpersonal hairballs.

When called to an incident, I offered the tools in my care … at the very least, it beat gawking.

No comments: